Recovery Meditations ~ Errors and Assets ~ One Day At A Time ~ February 6, 2011

~ ERRORS AND ASSETS ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

We grow by our willingness to face and

rectify errors and convert them into

assets.


The Big Book

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

I have had a paradigm shift in my

life. This means that I have begun to

see some of my most basic ideas about

food and nourishment from a different

angle. I never really thought these

things through before this program

nudged me to have a look at my life with

rigorous honesty. Oh, I wanted to be

thin, but I barely related that to my

feelings about food.

I was on autopilot for years and now

realize that my concept of food was

reasoned out when I was still a child. I

put that childish set of ideas in place

and then just stopped thinking about

it. That little child wanted the most

she could get of everything there

was. She wanted the most attention, the

most love, the most toys . . . and the

most food. And at that time it was

exactly the right way to look at the

world. When I was a child setting up the

system that constantly demands more to

calm or soothe or comfort or love, I

turned to food because it is simple and

I did not possess the skills to get my

needs met in other ways. It was a

victory really, because I coped, made it

through to now. But, to stick with a

plan set up by a little child reflects a

lack of willingness to face a basic

error in engaging the world and change

my behavior.

Now I know that eating mass quantities

of food isn't about love, or fun, or

comfort. Now my adult mind knows that

food is a fuel that, if chosen

judiciously, helps my body to work

efficiently and clears my mind for the

task of being a responsible adult in a

busy, troubled world. By shifting from

"How much food do I get for me?" to

"What must I eat today to be healthy?" I

change my whole basis for choosing. I

take an area of my life that has been a

constant error and change it into an

asset, one that nourishes me and helps

me to do that next right thing.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I am willing to face my flawed thinking about food and change the way I make food choices, meal by meal, so that food is an asset to me and not a liability.