Recovery Meditations ~ Self Knowledge ~ One Day At A Time ~ February 19, 2011

~ SELF KNOWLEDGE ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

We're our own dragons as well as our own

heroes and we have to rescue ourselves

from ourselves.



Tom Robbins



:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:


I always tried to do my best in

everything I did. Studies, school, and

managing my own family are some good

examples. Being in control made it seem

as though I always did as I was told,

but I had a very difficult time Being on

my own and thinking for myself. The

talent I was born with gave me a good

start at being an artist, but I couldn't

seem to make a successful career out of

it. I was scared and shy and didn't dare

be on the forefront of making this

talent into what I wanted it to be.

When I started on my path to Recovery, I

found that I was being too much of a

perfectionist. I was always told to do

things perfectly and I tried and tried

but never seemed to satisfy my parents

or the god of my childhood. So when I

grew up I was so hard on myself that I

lost the creativity I was born

with. Creativity can't thrive in a

hostile environment.

One day while reading an author I liked,

I read that I had to "get out of my own

way". I was a dragon trying to do

something creative and it didn't work. I

have to learn to "rescue myself from

myself" so I can do my art with the

talents that are God-given.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I realize that if I want to see myself


as I really am, I cannot stand in my own


shadow.