Recovery Meditations ~ Patience ~ One Day At A Time ~ March 23, 2011

~ PATIENCE ~
:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Patience

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is Patience."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Today's topic is Patience! When I first

came to Program, I didn't really know

what abstinence was. I thought it was a

diet. It turned out to be far more than

I ever imagined. since beginning, I've

gained abstinence, I've lost weight and

my physical, mental, emotional and

spiritual well-being has changed more

than I ever thought possible. I've come

so far ... beyond my wildest dreams

... yet, sometimes it feels like it's

still not enough. I'll get in a row with

my 12 year old daughter over some minor

issue. She has a way of pushing my

buttons which sends me into

"fingerpointing" and "lecture" mode -

good intentions gone totally awry!

She'll ultimately tune me out - and I'll

walk away feeling like a bad parent. The

guilt will set in and I'll deride myself

for lacking patience and having bad

judgement! But once I've calmed down -

I'll remind myself that my intentions

were good and - as in my food plan -

progress not perfection has to apply to

my parenting just as it does to my any

other aspect of my recovery. This

requires me to be patient with MYSELF as

well as with others.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will learn to be patient with myself as well as with others.