Recovery Meditations ~ Avoidance ~ One Day at a Time ~ May 20, 2011

~ AVOIDANCE ~


:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.."

Aldous Huxley

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

Step 1 has a basic principle behind it

which is truth. For me that truth is,

just as I use tools for recovery, there

are tools that my willful mind uses to

keep me rooted in my disease. One of the

strongest is avoidance.

Recovery can bring up a lot of painful

issues and have me recall situations in

which I feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I

find that these old feelings have a way

of creeping into my psyche. Suddenly

some old behavior comes rushing back and

I find myself using avoidance as a means

to protect myself. Other times, I find

myself acting very willfully by

deliberately putting things off like

going to the gym even when I know that

it is good for me, I enjoy myself and am

always happy for having gone..

My avoidance can take the form of

rebellion against a person, chore, or

situation.

Recovery has taught me to face

situations. Once the situation has been

faced, I often feel a sense of immediate

relief. I know that the deed is done, my

fears whether they be realistic or not,

usually fall away, and sometimes I even

feel a little silly for having avoided

the situation in the first place.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will fact the situations that I encounter today with action.