Recovery Meditations ~ Human Spirit ~ One Day at a Time ~ May 19, 2011

~ THE HUMAN SPIRIT ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

The human spirit is stronger than

anything that can happen to it.


Unknown

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

I spent most years of my life feeling

like a damaged person, one who was

permanently and irreparably defective. I

am the survivor of abuse, and had been a

practicing compulsive overeater since

early childhood. The only way I knew

myself was broken, hopeless, and damaged

beyond repair. On the days when I could

manage to have a goal, my goal was to

make the best of it ... and to simply

survive the remainder of my days on this

earth.

Recovery has transformed my view of

myself and my experience of life. In

receiving the love, support and guidance

of my friends on this journey I began to

see a glimmer of hope. With the loving

care of my sponsors I began to take the

Steps, and I learned to live them out

... one day at a time.

In taking the Steps and living them out,

I found my buried spirit, and I found

that it was alive and well! In recovery

I became reacquainted with the spiritual

part of myself that I thought was lost

forever. In this connection, I learned

to live, laugh, and hope again. My

spiritual connection is stronger than

anything that can happen to me. This is

the truth in my life today, and it

transforms me to peace, joy, and love

greater than I had ever dreamed.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will practice Step Eleven, and improve


my conscious contact with God. I will


choose to live in connection with my


inner spirit.