Recovery Meditations ~ Higher Power ~ One Day at a Time ~ May 29, 2011

~ HIGHER POWER ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Think not because no man sees, such

things will remain unseen."


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

Recently at a meeting I heard a person

share that they weren't sure that the

program would work for them because they

did not believe in God. They were very

distressed. I wanted to get out the Big

Book and quote to them from page 47,

"When, therefore, we speak to you of

God, we mean your own conception of

God. This applies too, to other

spiritual expressions which you find in

this book. Do not let any prejudice you

may have against spiritual terms deter

you from honestly asking yourself what

they mean to you. At the start this was

all we needed to commence spiritual

growth, to effect our first conscious

relation with God as we understood Him."



Many of us have a problem with God in

the beginning of our program. We may be

atheists, agnostics, or simply have had

bad experiences regarding God or His/Her

people. We can choose the group, or the

Higher Power of another, to be our

Higher Power until we are able to begin,

bit-by-bit, to define and establish a

relationship with our own Higher

Power. I know that when I came into the

program I was very angry with God. I

used the group as my Higher Power at

first. Then I used my sponsor's God of

her understanding as my Higher Power

because He was so loving and full of

grace. We had many talks about her

God. This helped me greatly until I was

able to reconnect to my relationship

with the God of my understanding. Today

I have a full, rich and intimate

relationship with my God.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will be tolerant of others' conception


of their Higher Power and will continue


to grow in my relationship with the God


of my understanding.