Recovery Meditations ~ Criticism ~ One Day at a Time ~ January 23, 2011

~ CRITICISM ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Elbert Hubbard

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

For so many years, I thought I was the

only kid who had been raised with

criticism. Fear of criticism is one of

the reasons I walked on eggshells at

home. I learned to fear success in

anything and everything. If I could only

be "middle of the road," maybe no one

would notice me and I wouldn't have to

deal with criticism. I did what I had to

do to survive.

As I grew older, I received constructive

criticism by wise people, but sadly, I

didn't know how to utilize such a

gift. It hurt me, and I turned away from

well-meaning people. I rebelled against

their advice.

The program has taught me that all

criticism is not bad. I never thought a

day would come where I was comfortable

with it. I recently took a

correspondence course to help me with my

work, and naturally the instructor had

to critique my work. I worried about

that before I took the course. In fact,

I'd wanted to take that class for years,

but had not been able to handle the cold

fear that stabbed at me when I looked at

the application. I finished the class

last month. There was much criticism to

help me to learn, and I didn't shrink

from it. I learned from it. It's all in

the attitude.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will pray to remember I have choices. I will pray to keep my attitude in a good place so that I might see all the opportunities available to me.