Recovery Meditations ~ Impulsiveness ~ One Day At A Time ~ March 7, 2011

~ IMPULSIVENESS ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

It is especially important not to make major life changes when you are guided by emotions. If you are  emotionally excited (either in the positive or negative), wait until you calm down before taking action.

Rabbi Zelig Pliskin

~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

When I first entered into recovery this

was one of my main character

defects. Since my life was out of

control and spiraling downward, I acted

impulsively and rarely did any thinking

before acting. I wouldn't even admit

that my actions were impulsive. I would

get so mad at people if they said I was

impulsive.

Thanks to the steps I now have the tools

that allow me to look at my actions in a

new light - one of sanity and

direction. Step One allowed me to admit

that I was addicted to food and my life

was unmanageable. Step Two allowed me to

let others in to help with my problem. I

was not in this alone. Step Three gave

me a loving God to take care of growing

me up and helping me with all my

problems. Step Four brought things into

perspective, Step Five brought healing

from the shame of making those

irreparable mistakes. Steps Six and

Seven helped me look at what in me could

be prayed about and improved. They

taught me that this character defect was

just a character asset being used

improperly. Steps Eight and Nine brought

me back into a right relationship with

others. Step Ten keeps me focused in the

now not the "what if's" or "you need

to's" of the past. Sanity seemed to be

coming from that awareness of living in

today. Step Eleven gave me the gift of a

God that is ever caring and always

present to help me if I just do my side

of the work. As a result I have a spirit

of love today rather than a spirit of

resentment and self-pity. Step Twelve

might be the most important one because

it is what keeps me in recovery and

living a productive life.

Today I do not have to react immediately

to every thing that happens, I can even

go to my sponsor and ask for

guidance. If my sponsor doesn't have

experience in that area I have a world

full of people like me to go to who

understand what I am experiencing. The

tools give me a way to handle life on

life's terms.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will chose to live and recover in the 12 steps.