Recovery Meditations ~ The Itsy Bitsy Spider ~ One Day At A Time ~ March 9, 2011

~ THE ITSY BITSY SPIDER ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

"I must not fear. Fear is the

mind-killer. Fear is the little-death

that brings total obliteration. I will

face my fear. I will permit it to pass

over me and through me. And when it has

gone past I will turn the inner eye to

see its path. Where the fear has gone

there will be nothing. Only I will

remain."



Frank Herbert, Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Recently in our meeting room we had a

new 'member’. He was HUGE - well, we

thought so, but who are we to judge? He

was hairy, well maybe we’re not

perfect...He strode into the room like

he owned the place. Well certainly he

had as much right to be there as we all

did.

We shrieked. Maybe it was those 8 hairy

legs, maybe it’s because he ran towards

us like a streak of lightening, who

knows.

Whatever he must have thought watching

us giants leaping around the room we can

only guess. He certainly seemed far more

scared of us than we of him. It got me

thinking of the insanity of some

fears. After all what could this fragile

little hairy thing do to me? He didn’t

have 8 giant slippers to hit ME on the

head. I was the one with the power, yet,

through my fear I was giving HIM the

power he really didn’t have. Instead of

using the Power to give myself more

confidence and behave rationally, I was

wasting it away, GIVING it away. So many

times I seem to repeat this same

pattern. Of course some fears are

rational, but most aren’t.

This program gives ME the freedom to ask

my Higher Power to take away my

shortcomings. To relax and step back and

make a fresh start. I need never be

afraid again of irrational things, not

if I truly work the program.

Itsy Bitsy Spider scuttled out of the

meeting in rather a hurry that

night. Was he trying to avoid

participating in the 7th Tradition? Or

did he have a genuine rational fear?

Maybe he was quite simply restored to

sanity.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will not be afraid ... I will not empower anything to cause me to be fearful.