Recovery Meditations ~ Compulsions ~ One Day at a Time ~ April 22, 2011

~ COMPULSIONS ~

~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Compulsive urges to overeat, gorge or

purge are inadequate coping mechanisms.

Compulsion is loss of control and

continuation of the behavior despite the

consequences.

Gloria Arenson

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Compulsive overeating is not a moral

dilemma; it is not a right or wrong; nor

is it a black and white event. I learned

at a pre-verbal stage that compulsive

overeating is a coping mechanism. When I

cried to be held, I was fed; when I

cried because I was wet, I was fed; when

I cried because I was in pain, I was

fed; when life was good, I was fed. Is

it any wonder I reach for food when life

is happening around me?

This program teaches me different ways

to cope with life. The Steps teach me

how to act on life rather than react to

it. I did not choose this disease, but I

do choose recovery. Through the help of

my Higher Power, the program, and other

program members I can recover. I can

live in the solution one day at a time

and one meal at a time.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will have a program. I choose recovery, health, love and life.