Recovery Meditations ~ Feelings ~ One Day at a Time ~ April 9, 2011

~ FEELINGS ~


~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Few are those who see with their own

eyes and feel with their own hearts.


Albert Einstein

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Before working the Twelve Step program,

one reason I used to overeat was that I

couldn't manage my feelings. My feelings

were overwhelming and incapacitating to

me. I would also overreact to feelings

and this would make them truly more than

I could handle. So I would then overeat

to make the feelings stop. I would stuff

myself, to stuff them down!

In working the Twelve Step program, I

got a chance to work through past hurts

and resentments that intensified my

feelings. I learned to feel my feelings,

just as they are, and how to stop

overreacting to them. I learned to sort

through messages my family gave me about

feelings, that it's not okay to have or

feel or express them. I learned to

decide what is true for me, today, about

feelings. I also worked through my

codependency issues and learned how to

communicate feelings in an appropriate,

effective and loving way.

Now feelings are a part of my life and

not something overwhelming and

incapacitating. In fact, they have

become something beautiful that enrich

my life and give it color and texture

and even pleasure.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I honor the blessing of having my


feelings returned to me. I enjoy them,


and I respect my feelings and those of


others. I thank my Higher Power for this


wonderful gift.