Recovery Meditations ~ Pain ~ One Day at a Time ~ April 26, 2011

~ PAIN ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Your pain is the breaking of the shell

that encloses your understanding.


Kahlil Gibran

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

How many of us in recovery thought we

were in pain before seeking help, only

to find out recovery itself was more

painful? I know that is how my progress

in Twelve Step recovery, especially from

compulsive eating, has

been. Fortunately, pain in recovery

doesn't break my spirit as it did before

I started working the Twelve Steps.

Now, through recovery, the walls that I

had built around my inner spirit for

protection are being slowly broken down

and moved away.

This changing and renewing of my inner

self is extremely painful at times, and

if I didn't have the tools of the

program such as sponsorship, a food

plan, working the Steps and conscious

contact with my Higher Power, there

would be no understanding born out of

the pain. Before recovery, the pain

would start to fill my inner shell with

self-pity, self-disgust, and

despair. Now when the pain comes to me,

I've slowly learned to embrace it, and

hold it close to my heart. This new pain

means that I will be shown by my Higher

Power the insight and understanding

needed for me to continue this daily

recovery process. Does this mean I am

filled with joy as I see the pain

coming? Absolutely not! This means that

I now have a power greater than myself

to shield me from pain that would break

me. After feeling the pain needed to

give me understanding, I am given

healing to continue my journey. One day

at a time... I will seek to feel and

face the pain on this journey, knowing

that understanding and healing will

follow through my Higher Power's hand.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will seek to feel and face the pain on this journey, knowing that understanding and healing will follow through my Higher Power's hand.