Recovery Meditations ~ Success ~ One Day at a Time ~ April 15, 2011

~SUCCESS ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

I have begun everything with the idea

that I could succeed, and I never had

much patience with the multitudes of

people who are always ready to explain

why one cannot succeed. I have always

had a high regard for the man who could

tell me how to succeed.


Booker T. Washington

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is

my main source of inspiration when it

comes to recovery issues. It's proven to

be a valuable asset to my program.

I've learned from the Big Book that

recovery from any compulsive disease is

possible. We are given Twelve Steps to

follow, and told that if we do what our

predecessors did, then we WILL recover.

We have to be willing to go to any

length to succeed. We have to do the

footwork. The people who don't succeed

in this program are the ones who don't

avail themselves of all the help that's

available to them. They don't read the

literature, they don't go to meetings,

they don't do service ... they don't do

what those who have gone before have

done. So they wallow in their disease

instead of recovering.

There's a reason why we're told, "Rarely

have we seen a person fail who has

thoroughly followed our path." That

means the program works IF you work

it. Those who don't work the program

don't recover. That's a pretty powerful

statement, but it's true, and for some

reason, a lot of compulsive people just

don't get it. They keep doing the same

old things and getting the same old

results. In the process, they remain

fully in the grip of their

disease. Sure, recovery is a miracle,

but it won't fall into your lap. You

need to work for it, and by the grace of

the God of your understanding, you'll

receive the miracle.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I remember that it's not enough to talk


the talk; I need to walk the walk if I


want to recover.