Recovery Meditations ~ Perfectionism ~ One Day at a Time ~ May 14, 2011

~ PERFECTIONISM ~


:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Shooting stars come out of the darkness."

Unknown Author

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

Today I am wading through guilt and

shame as I try to step into the

Light. My ankles are mired in

unfulfilled visions and lost

dreams. Childhood voices scream at me of

my Potential. What are you doing? You're

smart, talented, and beautiful. What are

you doing with your life? You have the

capacity for a great job, why do you

loll in mediocrity? You're close to

thinness, why can't you eat less? You

could be beautiful, why don't you take

more time with your hair, makeup, have

manicures or plastic surgery? Why do you

hover around "good enough"?

I remember when I had all these things,

I wanted different things. The voices

remind me I am not perfect, only a

perfectionist. My goals remind me of

what I lack. My tears remind me I am not

what I preach. My Higher Power reminds

me I am still on the easel, and grateful

for my journey. My darkness reminds me I

live in the Light.

ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I seek the light of recovery that is


seeking me.