Recovery Meditations ~ Fourth Step Secrets ~ One Day at a Time ~ June 4, 2011

~ FOURTH STEP SECRETS ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~


"These are weighty secrets and we must whisper them."


Sarah Chauncey Woolsey (Susan Coolidge)

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

When I came to the Recovery Group, I was

wearing the pain of a lifetime of

well-kept secrets - secrets about a

childhood of poverty and secrets about a

difficult marriage. No one ever saw my

secret pain; I never shared it with

anyone. But all could see the effects of

the food I used as a coping mechanism.

Because of my willingness "to do

whatever it takes," I shared these

secrets with the person who took my 5th

step. I later shared it with my sponsor

and some of them later with a sponsee

during her 5th step. Sharing this pain

the first two times was like the

bursting of a painful abscess, with

poison being released. The poison that

kept me living in resentful, negative

thinking has been gradually replaced

with gratitude for what I had and now

have, and with the ability to experience

joy in my many, many blessings.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will experience gratitude for the


gifts I was given in my 4th and 5th


steps and for the gifts of this program.