Recovery Meditations ~ Step One ~ One Day at a Time ~ June 5, 2011

~ STEP ONE ~


:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Well begun is half done."

Aristotle

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

The first time I took step one I knew

that I was beat. Because I knew that I

was beat, I knew I had to have help to

survive. I sought and accepted that help

in OA. I put the program into action. I

completed the twelve steps and tasted

recovery.

Over the years I have had to renew my

step one, and each time I was convinced

that I was not going to make it without

the help in program. That spurred me on

to complete the 12 steps many

times. Step one is essentially what made

me complete all twelve steps and go on

to a fuller and fuller life in

recovery. Without step one, there really

was no need or motivation for steps two

through twelve.

Recently I realized that step one is

particularly necessary to do step

twelve. I cannot help anyone without my

Higher Power. I cannot control another's

program. I cannot carry the message on

my own, nor can I practice the

principles in all my affairs by

myself. Step one -- my powerlessness and

my inability to manage -- is a great

blessing. It is what spurs me on to turn

to my Higher Power in all tasks great

and small; it is what helps me to gain

more and more ground in recovery.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will admit my powerlessness and my


inability to manage, then I will turn to


God Who will take me through my program


and my life - with His power and His


ability to manage.