Recovery Meditations ~ Honesty ~ One Day at a Time ~ June 8, 2011

~ HONESTY ~


:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Our lives improve only when we take

chances ~ and the first and most

difficult risk we can take is to be

honest with ourselves."

Walter Anderson

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

After the initial shock and realization

that I am a compulsive overeater, it

transpired that in order to recover, I

had to get honest. This was -- and still

is -- a painful process for me, yet it

is an essential step towards my

recovery.

First I had to admit that I wasn't in

control of my life and that recovery

couldn't be achieved unaided. As with

most revelations, this was an

uncomfortable truth to behold. I was

also prompted, through honesty, to stop

blaming everyone else for my

unwillingness to help myself. I had to

find conviction in my actions and not

just emptiness in my words.

I conceded that I am not as perfect as I

would like to think. I make mistakes and

sometimes slip from the path of

recovery, but with honesty comes

acceptance that I am only human.

This disease would deceive me into

thinking that I am a failure, when in

fact it's my actions that have failed

me. Like a magician who performs

illusions for the crowd, this disease

would have me think I have committed

unforgivable sins.

Honesty is the key to my recovery; it

unlocks the chains, which have

imprisoned me for so long. It allows me

to recognize my weaknesses and turn them

into strengths. It turns simple

existence into life ~ and inner

conflicts into outward serenity.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will be honest with myself.