Recovery Meditations ~ Sunlight of the Spirit ~ One Day at a Time ~ June 22, 2011

~ SUNLIGHT OF THE SPIRIT ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Trust God and buy broccoli."

Author Unknown

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

I heard that quotation in an OA meeting

years ago. "What an odd thing," I

thought. "Why does God care what I buy?"

But as years have gone by and my

abstinence continues one day at a time,

I see the meaning of that phrase and

have deep respect for its principle.



I can trust God 'til the cows come home,

but there is work to be done. A more

familiar quote is: "Trust God but

continue to row toward shore."



Abstinence for me is not only refraining

from compulsive overeating, but

abstaining from what I call my

"alcoholic foods." They block that

beautiful contact between me and the

Sunlight of the Spirit. It is my

responsibility to purchase, prepare,

weigh and measure the best foods for my

peace of mind ~ and to open the channel

to a Power Greater than Myself. Now I

live this way, with thanks to the twelve

steps.



ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I will be grateful that food does not


have power today.