Recovery Meditations ~ Hope ~ One Day at a Time ~ July 4, 2011

~ HOPE ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

“Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul

And sings the tune without the words

And never stops at all.”

Emily Dickinson

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

I wanted desperately to lose weight, be

happy, be spiritually and emotionally

fulfilled, and feel serenity in my

soul. How long must one wait in a single

lifetime to achieve these things? How

long must one function day-to-day at a

fairly high level, only to close the

door at night to a world of emptiness?

How long must one go without hope?

My compulsion for food had come close to

destroying my life. I was in a constant

state of denial that the simple act of

eating food could account for a life run

amok and totally unmanageable. But the

truth of the matter is that it could

... and it did.

I found Twelve Steps that empowered me

to do things I'd never dreamed of

doing. These Twelve Steps enabled me to

see the simple reality that compulsive

eating could destroy my life. They

showed me that life was beautiful and

that my disease could turn out to be my

greatest blessing. The Twelve Steps gave

me something so precious that I am in

awe of their power .... something so

empowering that I had to admit

powerlessness in order to become

powerful. The Twelve Steps gave me the

most beautiful gift I have ever received

... a gift that no one can ever take

away from me ... a gift that I treasure

above all gifts: hope. They gave me the

gift of hope.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I will hold onto my hope.


One day at a time ... I will treasure my hope.


One day at a time ... hope perches in my soul.


One day at a time ... hope sings its song.