Recovery Meditations ~ Sanity ~ One Day at a Time ~ July 11, 2011

~ SANITY ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

"Came to believe ...

That a power greater than ourselves ...

Could restore us to sanity."


Step Two

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

What a powerful statement! There's a

power greater than me. At first glance

it seemed so frightening. As I looked at

my situation, it seemed impossible

... who or what could be greater than I

am? To be "restored" to sanity meant I

must be crazy. After all, that is what

insanity means. My Higher Power happened

to be my sponsor and she was determined

enough to be that power, if only until I

opened the door to another.

One day when my ears were open and my

mouth shut, these words came from

another sufferer: "God can." I thought

to myself, "What? What does 'God can'

mean?" Later -- when my body was clean

and my mind receptive -- those words

came to mean a great deal to me. "God

can" if I let Him. God can take away my

compulsion to overeat. God can remove my

desire for nicotine. God can take away

my desire for booze. Yes, God can.

I no longer worry about what I can't

accomplish because I know that "God

can." So now when my day begins I think

of what I can do right, and I do it for

today. That which I cannot do right -- I

just let God handle that. We make a

pretty good team, God and me.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .


I let my Higher Power restore me to sanity.