Recovery Meditations ~ Happiness ~ One Day at a Time ~ August 8, 2011


~ HAPPINESS ~


:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

Happiness is never something you get

from other people. The happiness you

feel is in direct proportion to the love

you are able to give.


. . . Oprah Winfrey

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~

I learned a great lesson while grieving

the loss of my three-year-old son. It

was Christmas time. I had three other

children who were looking forward to a

wonderful day with all the trimmings,

but my heart was despairing. I came to

the realization that I could take the

experience one moment at a time. Some of

those moments would be very sad, but

some of those little periods of time

would be joyful. I found out that

happiness is moments, not a state of

being. We can take those joyful moments

and treasure them until they accumulate

into happiness. We have the choice to

treasure them or to allow them to

disappear in our lack of gratitude and

appreciation.

Every day there is joy that we miss

because we aren't looking for it. When I

look back at the end of the day and add

up the good moments, I often realize

there is so much joy in my life. I learn

to appreciate the little things.

That Christmas is remembered more for

those little moments of joy. The love in

my heart for the other children helped

me to rise above the despair and reach

out to give them a gift of happiness on

that treasured holiday.


ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

I strive to see the good in each moment.